Thursday, December 21, 2023

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders

 

Hrrrrm. This is a short-ish novel that wants to say big things. It's from 2016 and its future is already dated. The characters in it mostly aren't people I'm interested in spending time with, even the time it takes me to read a ~300 page novel. The conflict between magic and super-science is overblown and poorly resolved. The novel vacillates between twee and almost technophilic. Things are resolved by an action taken in the first half of the novel. And it still kinda sticks the landing. I've read novels I've resented reading, and I've started novels I couldn't finish or didn't want to, and this isn't either of those, but I can't really recommend it, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode Thirteen by Craig DiLouie

  This is labeled as an epistolary novel, but that's not entirely right. There are entries that could not possibly have been written, fr...