Huh. A pretty straightforward story of revenge, with a moderately unreliable narrator, or a story of utter madness. I'm not sure Ms. Tokarczuk knows, either. The prose has an intentionally archaic vibe, sorta like in Piranesi, but much more deranged. I twigged to what's maybe the big twist about two-thirds through, it wasn't clever when Dame Agatha did it, either. Add an ending where characters behave in ways truer to the author than themselves. Yeah, call me underwhelmed, another novel that doesn't live up to its title.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment