This was nearly 400 pages of an author trying to be clever and hyperbolically wacky and being ... tedious. I kept on to the end in the vain hope something interesting would happen, or that something like a point to the whole thing would emerge. It's possible this is something brilliant on the lines of Pynchon or DeLillo--I've never read any DeLillo and what I've seen of Pynchon hasn't made me want to read more--but honestly it really seemed like a pretty competent novelist trying to do a thing and failing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
It's Scalzi being Scalzi. His books are immensely readable--witty and quippy and sparkling and poppy--and this is him, at his Scalzies...

No comments:
Post a Comment