I read this book like thirty years ago (ack!) when I was in college, and I remembered liking it, and when my wife picked it as a classic-ish literary novel, I figured I'd read it while we had a copy in the house. It's ... maybe better than I remembered, even if there aren't a lot of particularly sympathetic characters. There are some strong thematic concerns here, more than I can enumerate or name, obsession and social strata and all-a-that, and probably more. The language in the novel--the prose--is something to sink your teeth into. I can definitely see why people get pulled into this novel repeatedly. It's a shame that so many people are exposed to it in school, have it crammed down their gullets, learn to hate it while it lies dead and quivering on the lepidopterist's pins; it deserves better treatment than that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment