A tightly paranoiac crime novel. Complicated almost to the point of overcomplication, but well-written with a character at the center of it who's interesting to spend time with. A weirdly romantic story at its heart, which isn't wildly atypical for Vachss. What violence there is is mostly toward the end, but it's not a messing-around sort of violence. Gritty with a heart of gold, I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment