Saturday, March 2, 2024
Unruly by David Mitchell
A breezy, kaleidoscopic, flippant history of the British monarchy through the death of Elizabeth I. A pretty enjoyable read, but there is--completely reasonably, it would make the book something like fifty times the size--so little context for most of what's in it that I don't expect much to stick for me. That's probably fine, because much of the point of the book, per the Afterword, is that kings and queens aren't really all that important, unless the people around them make them so; that's a sentiment I can get behind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Heart Is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones
I am the weird horror fan who doesn't like slasher movies; Stephen Graham Jones fucking adores them, and this novel is book one of a t...
-
This is a deeply romantic series of adventures in the pursuit of solving a mystery. There are references to Doyle, it's possible the aut...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment