Tuesday, April 30, 2024

One by One by Ruth Ware

 

So this is a pretty standard issue crime novel, except that the author is playing all sorts of games as though she thinks she's Dame Agatha, and it's OK for her to cheat. Unfortunately for Ms. Ware, Dame Agatha made at least some forms of cheating pretty obvious to someone paying attention. I didn't twig right away, but I might have done so a few pages before Ms. Ware intended. Also, neither main character was particularly plausible or believable to me, so the novel overall failed some suspension-of-disbelief basics. I mean, a novel like this is going to be contrived, but this was just a bit much. I read another of Ms. Ware's novels and it was reasonably good, this was something less than that; I'll probably read one or two more at some point before coming to any overall conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode Thirteen by Craig DiLouie

  This is labeled as an epistolary novel, but that's not entirely right. There are entries that could not possibly have been written, fr...