It's kinda funny, considering that I was thinking about how Hendrix's writing is typically so arch and knowing, and here there's barely any humor. Wit, yeah, clever turns of phrase, and a palpable sense of self-aware Fandom (it's clear Hendrix loves slasher movies, maybe in spite of his better judgment); the strongest takeaway I get here, though, is sincerity. He sincerely loves slasher movies; his main here is never less than 75% sincere (there's some caginess, she gives off strong unreliable narrator energy for much of the novel); the novel's subtext is a thick stream just below the surface, friendship and trust and protecting your loved ones and the future, and it's sincere. Hendrix isn't arch, he's self-aware.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
No comments:
Post a Comment