I've heard lots of really good things about China Miéville, so after seeing this book a couple of times at the library I figured I'd give it a read. It's really not all that great: the voice is kinda clunky most of the time, the timeline jumps around jarringly for not much in the way of good reason that I could see, the characters are varyingly unlikeable and giving off unreliable narrator vibes (though I don't think the POV at least is supposed to) and the setting pretty persistently failed to sustain suspension of disbelief. There's a speech near the climax, though, that packs one hell of an emotional wallop, if you can get through everything that proceeds it. I dunno if that one moment is worth the ride, but it's there. Deeply underwhelmed, I am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment