Sunday, December 15, 2024
Inspection by Josh Malerman
This is a really weird novel set in something that purports to be a lot like the real world, but which ... really fails pretty badly at disbelief suspension. The prose and pacing are pretty reasonable, I guess, but the events and the characters, and ... what I suppose is backstory (or maybe premise) aren't plausible or really believable if you think about it for more than like seven seconds. The little downbeat ending, indicating that one of the more or less antagonistic characters didn't learn much from the novel, is kinda cute, probably not as effective as Malerman thinks or wants. Not horrible, just not really good, either.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment