Um, since my thoughts about last night's book got me thinking about Ludlum, it's possible I'm going to see connections and debts to him as more present than they are for a while. That said, this book seems as though it owes a lot to Ludlum: There's the conspiracy to carve a new nation out of part of the US West Coast, there's international involvement, there's ground-level Bad People being manipulated by ivory-tower Bad People, there's a single smart and clever man pushing conspiracy plans in unexpected ways until the whole edifice collapses. Thing is, it works. It helps that Byrne has some knack for turning phrases, and that Dez is an interesting and intriguing protagonist. There are hints at the end of some expectation/s for a series of novels, but that's nothing I can object to, it's where the money is for novelists these days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment