This novel's title is a bit of a red herring: While there are parts of this novel that are about as mundane as the title might lead one to expect, it's a subtle, twisted, complicated sort of mundanity. There's some dry wit turning some phrases, here, and a pacing that kinda ticks, then tick ticks, then tickticktickticks. The main is deeply criminal but still has something like morals, and the sequences where she goes through things making her career path possible are ... a neat way to make her character clear, her tendency to plan carefully and move quickly. I gather much of Perry's work is novels in a series, I might give something a try in spite of that; this was a good read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment