Saturday, February 15, 2025
Arrowood by Laura McHugh
Tonight's book was about as good as this afternoon's, it's been a very good reading day for me today. I read and really enjoyed The Weight of Blood a while ago, and when I saw this in the library I yanked it off the shelves with some vigor. This novel is possibly better than that one, though it doesn't have the neat doubled timeline; it unfurls like a flower blossoming in time-lapse, layered revelations in roughly every scale the novel's operating in. There's stuff on the cover calling it a "mystery," and while there is a crime at the center of it, the solution of the crime is only as important as it is relevant to the main character's life and her ability to live it. All the traps nostalgia lays lie in the story, and they all have their piece of the characters' flesh, but the denouement at least implies there is some moving past the past happening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment