I came across this in the library and figured that since Meddling Kids was so much fun this was worth a look. It was in fact worth a look, though it's not the pure giddy fun that Meddling Kids is. It's a bit grimmer and a bit grimier and it's clearly playing at Lovecraftiana with some of the names of people and things (though I can't claim to have caught every instance of that) though there's a neat dawning love story percolating and a weird borderline pointless reveal of sorts in the epilogue, and it's nowhere near as funny as Meddling Kids, it's not so much taking the piss out of anything; it is a very good book in spite of those niggles, however.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment