This is a grim little crime novel, the main threads are the self-destructiveness of revenge and the horror of the police state. The copyright's 2009, but there's some very current stuff in there about American attitudes toward immigrants--mostly about how the people with the power and the money find them convenient and inexpensive; the Cuban internal politics might be right for the time, but that's before Fidel died. The characters are remarkably well-drawn, and there's a twist that someone interested in decoding novel-twists before they land might have been able to decipher; I don't usually put any real effort into it, sometimes I just understand things well before they appear (this was not one of those things). Pretty good stuff, and the library I was at today had a good double-handful of his novels, all I have to do is make sure I'm not picking up a sequel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment