Well, this was a pile of mediocrity. The prose itself wasn't total excrement, but just about everything else might be better served by being set on fire. The characters are all sketched out and barely more than one-dimensional; the storyline, such as it is, is jumbled and disconnected and episodic and overburdened with "twists" that are supposed to be "clever" but in fact are fucking tedious. The novels being name-dropped to indicate that at least one character in the novel is a "serious reader" would probably have been a clue where the author and I were going to part ways, if I'd seen it first.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...

No comments:
Post a Comment