Saturday, April 12, 2025
Blood Sisters by Graham Masterton
This guy wrote horror for decades, I saw that he was writing mysteries--that's what the library has of his books at this point--so I grabbed one out of curiosity. Turns out, he's in the middle of a series with this one, which is a bit of a bummer. He's still got some writing chops--especially an ear for dialogue--but this is laden with probably a superabundance of story threads, many of which are carried over from past novels, many of which are clearly going to resolve in future novels. There is a central case, here, and it does get worked out, but there are also lots of other things going on to make the main character's life worse. She's a likable character, being the main in a detective series is probably the worst thing that could have happened to her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment