This is a crap novel, really. Marginally competent crap on some levels--the prose isn't complete garbage, and the characters are reasonably well delineated (with the glaring fucking exception of the POV character who's lying about who they are the whole time)--but the basic story premises, especially like the core reveal, the supernatural shit bolted onto lucid dreaming, are pretty much shit. The characters are pretty universally detestable, which makes the early going difficult enough to get through that perhaps it should be a warning to just stop now. I kinda wish I had.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
It's Scalzi being Scalzi. His books are immensely readable--witty and quippy and sparkling and poppy--and this is him, at his Scalzies...

No comments:
Post a Comment