After a kinda substantial planning fail around dinner, I needed a quick read, and this fit the bill. It had been a while since I'd read anything wherein Simmons constrained himself to something like reality, I remembered liking what I'd read of his Kurtz novels (literary Easter egg and all) and this is about as good as I remember those being. Grim and bloody and violent, noirish and twisted, with some amusingly turned phrases and some clearly drawn characters--Kurtz himself among them, of course, but he's not alone. I gather Simmons' politics have ... drifted the past few years, but I saw no evidence of any of that here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
It's Scalzi being Scalzi. His books are immensely readable--witty and quippy and sparkling and poppy--and this is him, at his Scalzies...

No comments:
Post a Comment