This is not a very good novel. The characters are unpleasant and mostly uninteresting, the story is jumbled without being complicated or complex; the primary saving grace is the occasional extraordinarily well-turned phrase. It's pretty clear the author has things to say, but she's not really able to get out of her own way here--that's a pity, because I think I agree with much of what she's trying to say.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment