Started this yesterday in a coffee shop (kinda on-the-nose for a novel set in Vienna) and finished it this evening. It's Christopher Moore, so there's bawdy goofy humor smeared all over, but it's also a pretty serious novel--or at least, it's a novel with some real, serious things to say, mostly about how men treat (constrain, abuse, belittle, subordinate) women. It's perhaps a little less goofy-hilarious than Sacre Bleu but it's arguably a better novel, in some ways maybe a counterpoint if not an outright corrective. I mean, it's still funny: I don't think Christopher Moore could write an unfunny novel if he tried; I think this is just in some ways more respectful, the way Noir and Razzmatazz are, of the people in it who aren't privileged white guys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
It's Scalzi being Scalzi. His books are immensely readable--witty and quippy and sparkling and poppy--and this is him, at his Scalzies...

No comments:
Post a Comment