This was cluttered and jumbled and disjointed, when it was clearly intended to be kaleidoscopic, and though an alien visitation ("invasion" isn't quite right, though there's clearly an intended riff on colonialism, as they're basically imposing their ideas and ideals upon the people of Earth--specifically, upon the people of Lagos, Nigeria) is the inciting event, here, the story is much more about the people of Lagos and their various cultural disfunctions and malfunctions than it is anything else. This is, in principle, fine, but it left me without much of anything in the way of handles to grab onto. The heavy use of Pidgin English didn't really help me with that. Not a great book, alas: I really wanted to enjoy it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment