I read another novel by Ms. Henry and liked it enough that I grabbed this when I saw it at the library. While the antecedents are there and clear, it's not so much a modernized retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood" you might guess from the cover copy; it has elements of Apocalyptic Plague in lines of King's The Stand or Wendig's Wanderers though it's a much more personal story than either of those novels. It's more hopeful in a lot of ways, too. The prose is solid and occasionally musical, the characters are well-conceptualized and clear, the story is remarkably clear while happening in a couple of timelines. It looks as though much of Ms. Henry's other work is novels in series, which means I won't chase those down, but I bet they're really good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment