Another really good novel--and this one by an author entirely new to me. I think this is his debut, so probably new to just about everyone. It's kinda interesting to read a novel about indigenous folk that's not really any kind of genre novel, but this was a pleasant read. Clearly has lots to say about family and culture and relationships and politics and power, and there are some obvious overlaps with current broader American politics; the stories of the novel always take precedence, though. I kept getting flashes of Bright Light, Big City, which seemed kinda out of place for a novel set in a far-from-the-big-cities reservation ... then there was a chapter in a slightly surreal second-person-present-tense voice. So, yeah, there's that going on. Differentiated and believable characters, solid prose. I wouldn't say the story is exactly fun, but there's real tension and release, though the main is definitely left in a position I'd describe as pending. That's fine, though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment