So, on the one hand, I don't have a lot of patience for the distinction between "literary" and "genre" fiction; on the other hand, you can usually tell which direction a given author working in this particular hinterland is coming from, and Michel is clearly coming from "literary"; on the gripping hand, this is something like 330 pages of punching down at fandom in many of its scruffy forms, and I ran out of patience about 200 pages in and switched to power-skimming. Michel demonstrates an impressive ability to shift his authorial voice into several different registers, but he never shakes the sense that he's mocking his characters, laughing at them (not with them). Really good on the prose level, but kinda an insulting nothingburger on every other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment