This was a reasonably decent thriller, nothing mind-melting. Started kinda slowish, with some kinda not smart, not proactive behavior on the part of the POV, but things do get better, he does start showing wit and spine and he does do some thing to turn his blackmailers' demands into unexpected results. The ending is probably a little too-happy for just about everyone concerned, but there's some bittersweet going on, I'll give that a pass. Decent, believeable, distinguishable characters, competent-enough prose that seemed a little ill-served by the editors (some obvious wrong words). There are some twists, and some red herrings, but the path is pretty easy to walk, I started to see where things were going relatively quickly--it's always a good idea to expect the big investors, especially hedge fund types, to be the villains.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment