After the quick DNF last night, I went with something that seemed really unlikely to repeat that experience. This is James Lee Burke at his typically excellent. He's been writing stories about the Holland family for years, all kinds of out of chronological order, I think; this one falls during the 1910s, and has all kinds of interesting things to say about the, uh, "shrinking" of the American West, and the various long-lasting aftereffects of the Civil War even as they bleed into the aftereffects of World War I (and to a lesser extent the Great Flu). Unlike many of Burke's novels, the POV is a woman--and a youngish woman, fourteen at the novel's beginning; like many of Burke's novels, there is some intense and brutal violence, some masterful turns of phrase, and some untrustworthy people in authority. Burke's novels are practically always worth reading, and this is no exception.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment