Well, this is the second mediocre-at-best novel I've read from Ms. Hand, I don't think I'll be giving her any further chances--there are too many good books out there, and my supply of free evenings is finite. For a book with so many killings in it, this is inexcusably fucking dull to read. There's probably something to Pin as a character, and I suppose it might not have seemed so glaring to persistently refer to Pin by something other than the gender he sees himself as (though that might turn out to be "they," I suppose) in the 2010s when this book was written, that already feels glaring, now. The other characters honestly barely register, and while there is eventually plenty of incident, it takes a long, long time to arrive and it's written with all the urgency of a damned laundry list. I know Ms. Hand has a reputation in several genres, but no more for me, thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...

No comments:
Post a Comment