Spent the last few days picking my way through this, around doing other things and reading other books--the fact it's a collection of shorter essays makes that an easy prospect. There's good stuff in here, there's funny stuff--hilarious stuff--in here. Most of the essays are about food and/or cooking, shockingly--this is Alton Brown--but this isn't a book for someone who wants to learn how to cook a thing. This is a book for people who learned to cook, or were inspired to learn to cook, watching *Good Eats*, people who probably are substantially nerdy, like Brown is. He's a solid writer, which isn't surprising to anyone who knows he was at least the primary (if not the sole) writer for all those episodes. I don't agree with absolutely everything here (I think his unitasker/multitasker thing is a useful proxy, but I don't think it's the right question to be asking--and you'll take my garlic press away when you pry it from my old dead hands) but he's an entertaining read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment