This was the first of Cosby's novels I read, or even heard about it, and I figured I'd give it a reread to see how it holds up. It holds up fucking brilliantly, as it turns out. There are some glorious turns of phrase inside, and the story is ... pyrotechnic. The characters are all believable and well-individualized, and their actions are mostly tied to their motivations (Slice does a thing for reasons that aren't clear, but it's not wildly out of character, really); the mains are fricking saturated in pain and grief, everything they do carries that sting and that stink, even the relatively upbeat (redemptive, even!) ending doesn't wash either away. It's a starkly beautiful novel, probably the one where I discovered that preference in myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment