I am a genuine oddity among Horror fans, in that I really don't much like Hallowe'en. I am also an oddity in general in that I have approximately zero nostalgia for my teenage years, and I'm furthermore an oddity among Gen Xers in that I have like no nostalgia for the 1980s. So this novel about Hallowe'en, 1984, was always going to have an uphill battle. The fact it's not all that well-written--especially its weirdly gauzy anachronistic nostalgia for 1984, and its awkwardly miraculous knack for interrupting any narrative momentum to jump to a different POV (there were like six or seven, in the 97 pages I finished, and the chapters tended to be little three-to-five-page things)--eventually ground me to a halt. DNF, and probably just as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment