I read this, this morning in a coffee shop. It's a good novella if more than a little grim, and easy to read as saying something about religion in the real world--and not really something nice. The prose is not Scalzi at his breeziest, which does fit the themes of the story. There are some interesting twists and turns in the novella, the reality of things reveals itself to the characters in the novel (at least the human ones) at roughly the same pace as it does to the reader--though I suppose some readers might twig to some things in it more quickly than I did. I've seen this around in the local libraries I spend time in, and reading it was worth the small effort to check it out and the short time it took me to read it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment