Sunday, May 24, 2026
Wake Up and Open Your Eyes by Clay McLeod Chapman
Wow this was a bad and unintelligent and entirely unsubtle novel. Demonic possession by way of a cheap Fox News knockoff--but somehow laden with bothsidesism, especially toward the end. Lots of graphic and gruesome violence that somehow ended up not really mattering, and a bunch of characters who were all various shades of implausibly unlikeable. The prose is pretty readable, all in all, at least when Chapman isn't trying to do some nation-scale apocalyptic riff on "all work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy." (The King rips are fricking blatant here, y'all, and really not at all well done.) I'd read another Chapman novel that seemed kinda mediocre but this one was outright a waste of my evening, which I just kept reading out of a kinda bloody-minded masochism (or maybe optimism) I guess, and I resent the book and I kinda hate myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
It's Scalzi being Scalzi. His books are immensely readable--witty and quippy and sparkling and poppy--and this is him, at his Scalzies...

No comments:
Post a Comment