It has been too long since I've read a good horror novel. (April, and it was another book by Christina Henry. I might need to dig more into horror and try to find more authors I enjoy.) I don't know if the author and/or publisher would exactly call this "horror," but I'm content in the judgement, even if I just just dropped this book into the to-read pile of someone who's pretty explicitly not a horror fan, because I'm sure she'll see the beauty in it, most horror doesn't make my eyes burn the way this novel did. Ms. Henry writes with strength and grace, her world (all her worlds, really) feels real and lived in, her characters feel like people; the bad things that happen to them feel like fate or bad luck or sometimes justice. This book reminded me why I love horror so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment