Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Jesus and John Wayne by Kristin Kobes Du Mez

 

Saw someone elsewhere mention this book, and it seemed at least vaguely relevant to some of my interests; it's indeed a relevant book, though I think what the white evangelicals have done is hollow their Christianity out as much as corrupt it. Yeah, they've sold out to power for various mostly-garbage reasons, but in the process they've destroyed much of what is at the center of what they say they believe. Clearly a well-researched book, by a writer who is obviously ... distressed, I guess, by what these people are doing in the name of a religion that bears the same name as hers--and I cannot blame her for being distressed; as a former Christian I am utterly disgusted for reasons both theological and aesthetic by the vast majority of the leader-types she name-drops. As with many books like this, it's a collection of narrative and narrative threads strung together, sometimes woven, and it's barely skimming the surface of its subjects. That's not snark--the writing's messages, both textual and subtextual, are clear, and the book is informative if kinda depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus and John Wayne by Kristin Kobes Du Mez

  Saw someone elsewhere mention this book, and it seemed at least vaguely relevant to some of my interests; it's indeed a relevant book,...