I have been enlightened, I see was at least some of the fuss is about. Twisty as its reputation (and yeah, the chauffeur ...) but what really makes the novel work is the combination of Chandler's somewhat heightened language and Marlowe's attitude (which might well be Chandler's from what I know of his biography). It's not a perfect novel (that chauffeur ...) but it is a very, very good one--deep in the foundational structure of Noir and other related Twentieth Century genre fiction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
It's Scalzi being Scalzi. His books are immensely readable--witty and quippy and sparkling and poppy--and this is him, at his Scalzies...

No comments:
Post a Comment