This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, and the Mystery is a feint and the Technothriller is a disguise. This is supernatural Horror, with all sorts of other concerns--family and identity topmost--along with the typical Horror moral themes. It's pretty well-executed, though I spotted some of the moves at the end coming; whether someone spotting those things means the author's playing fair, or playing with tropes is a fair question--and I've read *a lot* of Horror over the years. I mostly don't mind, since if you're going to pull the trigger on that gun late in the story you need to show it to me earlier--and you probably want to make sure I see it, so you might show it to me more than once.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment