Monday, December 25, 2023

Where They Wait by Scott Carson


This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, and the Mystery is a feint and the Technothriller is a disguise. This is supernatural Horror, with all sorts of other concerns--family and identity topmost--along with the typical Horror moral themes. It's pretty well-executed, though I spotted some of the moves at the end coming; whether someone spotting those things means the author's playing fair, or playing with tropes is a fair question--and I've read *a lot* of Horror over the years. I mostly don't mind, since if you're going to pull the trigger on that gun late in the story you need to show it to me earlier--and you probably want to make sure I see it, so you might show it to me more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode Thirteen by Craig DiLouie

  This is labeled as an epistolary novel, but that's not entirely right. There are entries that could not possibly have been written, fr...