We grabbed this from a Little Free Library at a local organic grocery ... a few years ago, at least, and it's been sitting on a shelf since then. All the half-references in the jacket copy had me worried it was going to be pointlessly meta: It's not. It is a well-told crime/mystery novel, with plenty of twists along the way as well as more than a dash of self-knowledge. It reminds me in all kinds of good ways of Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone, though it's probably more of a serial-killer noir novel than a fair-play mystery. By turns witty and gripping. The novel's more than ten years old, and I'm curious to see if there's more. I'll be poking around and finding out, I suspect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment