I read this book something more than a decade ago, so I'd forgotten how very excellent it is. It's one POV character collecting the stories of his wife and several of their friends of the time everyone but the narrator spent in the thrall of a typical--stereotypical, even--charlatan-guru in the 1960s. None of them seem to have seen everything--though there's one who saw more than the others--and it's up to the reader to put together whatever sort of real story there is. Unless I missed something, this is the last novel Straub wrote, and it's a helluva last novel, deeply dark and staggeringly complex.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
It's Scalzi being Scalzi. His books are immensely readable--witty and quippy and sparkling and poppy--and this is him, at his Scalzies...

No comments:
Post a Comment