Well, this was at least vaguely disappointing. The prose was (I presume intentionally) very much in the style and voice of mid-eighteenth-century writing, which I avoid more or less whenever possible, and while I think I at least got most of the incident, I didn't really see much point to it all. I guess the strong whiff of picaresque here explains some of the difficulty in discerning any point, though that's not strictly speaking inherent in picaresque. Whatever distinctions there might be among the characters is to my eye and ear buried under the willfully antiquated authorial voice. I'm sure Spufford more or less hit the target he was aiming for, but the target wasn't one I turned out to be all that interested in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Perfect Plan by Bryan Reardon
This is a pretty mediocre novel, really, but it's better than it seems it's going to be for the first hundred-ish pages, which are...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...

No comments:
Post a Comment