Saturday, February 3, 2024

The Second Shooter by Nick Mamatas

 

A novel that manages to be a slightly gonzo take on America, complete with takes from all over leftish philosophy, while being actually readable. Not something I'd have put money on, given my local track record with the type. Part of the fun for me was spotting the various hat-tips to classics in genre fiction. Alas, I'm probably too bougie/normie/mundane to completely accept the novel's core premises, but it mostly delivers--though it sadly doesn't quite stick the landing, oh well. (I'm sure I'm supposed to be able to figure out the three word phrase that's the magic spell in the epilogue, but I cannot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode Thirteen by Craig DiLouie

  This is labeled as an epistolary novel, but that's not entirely right. There are entries that could not possibly have been written, fr...