This is a really, really good novel. It unfurls itself gradually and gracefully, making the point that what we know, or think we know, isn't always true and asking questions about true crime as an entertainment genre. The POV character is complex and something like complete, and remarkably sympathetic (if imperfect). There is some nifty--and honest--misdirection about what actually happened, but I think it's clear, and I think there will be people angry because there are two men who abused this teenage girl walking around free and an innocent man in prison for her murder.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tangled Up in Blue by Rosa Brooks
This has been sitting n my shelf for a while, I figured I'd read it. The author is a professor at Georgetown Law, and she went through...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment