A neat little Horror novel (big shock on the genre, there, I'm sure) that plays some interesting games with PTSD and identity, with maybe an interesting echo of Barker's "Dread," where someone brings about their own destruction by turning someone else into a monster. There are large stretches told in something like screenplay format (and might in fact be formatted correctly) but it's not a transcript, all the observations about what the people in the script are thinking or feeling are at least plausible as a written--as opposed to a transcribed--thing. Also, what's going on outside the movie is ... plenty realistic/plausible, there's nothing really supernatural happening in this novel, I think, just some damaged people making some dubious decisions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment