Holy shit, this novel is good. I mean, there's subtext kinda constantly bubbling to the surface, but given the themes of censorship at play, here, that's hardly surprising, and given that the novel was published in the Year of Our Lord 2023 (and was therefore probably in process for a couple of years before that) it's almost certainly not an accident that there are parallels between the historical moments in the novel and the present day. All that subtext isn't anything like a problem because all the textual stories--I can think of at least three, two of which are love stories, one of those queer--are all strong as fuck (so to speak). I'm now powerfully curious about Ms. Labuskes' other books.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment