An interesting legal thriller. I see why the blurbs and reviews mention Hiassen and Leonard and Grisham--those are among them a pretty decent set of comparisons (though Clark doesn't write such mannered prose as Leonard, which is a good thing). Definitely built around the American legal system and the ways it can be bent to one's aims, and lots of one determined lawyer working to bend it to his (relatively well-intentioned) intentions. Very quippy-funny, not quite so much Strange Local Color as Hiassen tends to have, very readable. In some ways deeply cynical but in others strongly romantic, an interesting admixture. I'll be looking for more, hoping I can find it at the libraries.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment