Sunday, June 23, 2024

Of Dice and Men by David M. Ewalt

 

Not a bad book. Nothing really new for me, but I've been reading TRPG history a bit lately--more scholarly-type books--and I'm clearly not the target market for the book. Also, a lot has happened in the hobby since this book was published in 2013; the primary thing is that "I play D&D" doesn't plop you inside a plague circle the way it once did. I gotta say it's unfortunate that some of the TRPG people he talks with in the book (I won't name names) have since 2013 turned to be varying sorts of asshats, but they've had nigh unto a decade to show their asses. What Ewalt does well, though, is capture why people play TRPGs and what they get out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode Thirteen by Craig DiLouie

  This is labeled as an epistolary novel, but that's not entirely right. There are entries that could not possibly have been written, fr...