Carl Hiaasen writing about implausible criminal antics in Florida is always a good time, and a novel where he turns that slightly loopy ferocity on a certain artificially-colored commander in chief and veers from comedy to satire ... that's good stuff. This is not a novel written by someone who particularly likes things as they are, but it's also clearly a novel written by someone who sees the possibility of better things, better outcomes: I remember reading someone saying something to the effect that in order to write satire well you needed to be both angry and hopeful, and Hiassen is definitely both, here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...

No comments:
Post a Comment