Saturday, August 17, 2024
Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay
This is a book full of pain, probably some of the worst emotional pain available to humans. (Physical pain is present, but it's mostly elided.) The prose borders on luminous, the shape and telling of the story is confident and precise, the characters in all their quirks and pain feel remarkably like real people. None of the narrators is exactly reliable, so trying to figure out what exactly is happening in the novel is ... something like impossible--that touch of PoMo is probably the novel's sole weakness, along with the attendant ambiguity about whether there's anything actually supernatural happening (I think the signs point to yes). Very strong and very worth reading, and I'll be keeping Tremblay in mind on future quests for reading material.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Heart Is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones
I am the weird horror fan who doesn't like slasher movies; Stephen Graham Jones fucking adores them, and this novel is book one of a t...
-
This is a deeply romantic series of adventures in the pursuit of solving a mystery. There are references to Doyle, it's possible the aut...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...

No comments:
Post a Comment