A pretty wild very-far-future SF novel, with lots of humanity's deepest sins--empire and conquest and colonialism foremost. It struggles some in the early-middle with twee and I think a bit of muddle in the setting, but it very much mostly sticks the landing. Atonement for the sins of the past is possible, and the path there is well-placed loyalty and love: familial, friendly, romantic (often queer); I cannot muster much argument with that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bad News by Donald E. Westlake
I finally found a couple of Westlake's Dortmunders. This one is a fricking blast: While there are complications and suchlike that emer...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment