This is a very good novel--mostly a rural crime novel, but also a passable bildungsroman (maybe something of a a double-barreled one, given the twinned timelines) with perhaps part of the growing up in this case being a realization that unearned loyalty is a mistake and/or worthless; maybe something about staying where you are needing to be an active choice and not just the result of a lack of options. There's pain and grief here, but what they fuel is less in the way of vengeance than it is a burning need to know. The parallels between past and present play neat thematic chords, as well. I do kinda wish Ms. McHugh had been able to tell the whole novel in just the two first-person POVs, but I get why she needed to start introducing other POVs (and I get why those other POVs are all tight third).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
This is Bradbury writing at his most beautiful, his most nostalgic. It's a paean to his childhood: As the introduction makes clear, th...
-
This is an actual Horror novel. Not a big shock, reading the blurbs, but the jacket text makes it seem vaguely Mystery/Technothriller-ish, a...
-
I dunno. On the one hand there are some interesting ideas in this novel, and Cantero's prose sparkles with wit and joy. On the other h...
-
So, this was a book that I almost stopped reading a couple-three times. It's not *bad*, exactly, but it's a weird dissonant tonal ...

No comments:
Post a Comment